Buried Alive Song Analysis - Samantha's Dark Side

Samantha's Dark Side

Buried Alive Song Analysis

Avenged Sevenfold

Nightmare

Xt3QDEol.jpg

Welcome one and all to my analysis of the Avenged Sevenfold song Buried Alive, a song previously thought to have no relations to the story of Zombies at all, and with good reason too. It has never appeared in a map. However, while listening to this song after my MPD revelation, it just stuck out to me. I am now going to try to persuade you to share my views.

Here is the original post where I came up with the MPD theory:

What if, now bear with my craziness for a minute, Samantha was referring to herself when she said there was something much eviler than her in there. What if there was her soul? This would cause me to believe that Samantha may have Dissociative identity disorder, formerly known as Multiple personality disorder or MPD!!!! This leads me to believe Sam has 3 personalities:

The "Real" Samantha, the German one.

Her "evil" counterpart who control's the Zombies on Origins and tries to kill the players.

Her American version, seen throughout Origins.

When someone with MPD switches personalities, they have separate minds and memories. They will not realise they have switched because they believe they are truly that version of themselves. This would explain why our Samantha in Origins has no recollection of the events from Moon. When some unknown event on Moon caused her to enter Agartha, she switched to American Sam and tried to escape back to her home...

This is definitely going to be expanded upon later by me.

Firsts things first, what would this song analysis be if you didn't have a means to listen to the song?

Let's amend that, shall we?

'>Link

Now that we have that out of the way, the song analysis shall commence. Thank you.

I believe this song to be from the point of view of Samantha's dark personality, the Ancient Evil.

Take the time just to listen

When the voices screaming are much too loud,

Take a look in the distance,

Try and see it all

Lines one and two are telling us that we should try and listen, even if it is too loud.

On lines two and three, the voice is commanding us to take a look at the bigger picture. We must look at this on a larger scale.

Chances are that ya might find,

That we share a common discomfort now

I feel I'm walking a fine line

Tell me only if it's real

The voice is telling Samantha that however distant their personalities may be, the voice and her are the same person and they share a common discomfort: the state of not being in the Aether. In the Aether, Samantha's 3 personalities could divide freely, but now that they are once again trapped in the same body, they now share the hate for Richtofen.

They are now walking a "fine line", which means there are no grey areas. Straight and simple. The voice feels they are walking along a path with no deviations.

Line four refers to the fact that Samantha is the real one in control, and though the Ancient Evil thinks it knows all, it doesn't know whether certain events are true or not.

Still I'm on my way,

On and on it goes,

Vacant hope to take

This stanza tells us that they will continue on the path, however dangerous, and that however false the hope is, they will still take it.

Hey - I can't live in here for another day

Darkness has kept the light concealed

Grim as ever

Hold on to faith as I dig another grave

The voice is now fed up with being held captive within Sam's body. The whole fact of having a shared body has kept the truth from it's eyes.

The Evil is as grim as ever, meaning it is very grim...

It is telling us in the fourth line that it must keep faith as it makes another kill.

Meanwhile the mice endure the wheel

Real as ever

And it seems I've been buried alive

The "mice" are the other members of the Post-EE Moon crew, who the Evil always saw as beings who just kept on going, repeating the same tasks over and over again.

It is now saying how it feels everything is finally real, being down here in the situation of fighting the Zombies, instead of controlling them.

It has been buried alive under the power of the other two personalities. This is where the Evil looses its hold on the body, and the personality switches.

I walk the fields through the fire,

Taking steps until I found solid ground

Followed dreams reaching higher

Couldn't survive the fall

The voice is telling us how it walked the long distance through the hardships which burned like flame.

The Evil has found something to hold on to finally. Lines two through four are talking about how it found a hold, then followed it's dreams, reaching higher, and when it was finally taken from the MPD, it felt it couldn't survive the fall from power, much like how a drug addict would feel if you took away their substance.

Much has changed since the last time

And I feel a little less certain now

You know I jumped at the first sign

Tell me only if it's real

The Evil has learnt much since it was last in the position of controlling a body, and now it feels uncertain with what would be pushing the body too far. It jumped at the first sign of pushing the boundaries, and now it is not sure whether it actually pushed too hard.

Memories seem to fade

On and on it goes

Wash my view away

The memories are beginning to dissipate, and it is growing, consuming more and more memories.

It has washed the view away, giving the Evil a standard opinion.

Now, the chorus repeats, and I believe this to be another point where the Evil's control is relinquished. However, I am going to point out a few lines which have changed.

And I'm chained like a slave, trapped in the dark

Slammed all the locks, death calls my name

And it seems I've been buried alive

The voice has found it's shackles (a possible reference to Abracadavre?), it's restraints.

It is trapped in the dark, the truth once again obscured.

All the locks have been turned, sealing the Evil in. Death is calling for Samantha.

At this point, the Evil has been securely barred from control.

Here, the viewpoint changes. We are now seeing it from the point of view of the original controller of the Zombies, the one who controls the Templars in Origins. We know it is not Richtofen because of Eddy saying he did not get his turn in the Origins Ending.

Take you down now, burn it all out

Throw you all around, get your fuckin'

HANDS OFF ME!

The controller is talking to the group. He is demonstrating the power he orchestrates in this area.

He is telling them to get away while they can.

What's it feel like? Took the wrong route

Watch it fall apart now you're knockin' AT THE WRONG GATE!

For you to pay the toll, a price for you alone

The only deal you'll find, I'll gladly take your soul

The controller is telling them that they made a wrong turn by coming into his domain (Origins). He is telling them that their plan has failed, and their pleads will fall upon deaf ears (knocking on the wrong gate)

To escape, once must pay a toll;

Their soul.

While it seems sick, sober up quick

Psycho lunatic crushing you with

HANDS OF FATE!

He is now giving them a quick decision. They can either pay the toll or die by Richtofen's hands (since Richtofen is a psycho lunatic)

Samantha then offers herself up.

Shame to find out, when it's too late

But you're all the same

Trapped inside INFERNO AWAITS!

It was a shame for Sam to find out too late that her 3 personalities were all the same, trapped inside, fuelled by the fires of revenge.

Evil thoughts can hide, I'll help release the mind

I'll peel away the skin, release the dark within

The controller is exacting the process of absorbing the soul.

However, the "dark within" is much more than he expected, and the Evil is now released at full strength.

The Evil takes control of Origins, and the song's view changes back to it's. Samantha is now in control of Origins, and as a whole, they force the controller down below the surface.

This is now your life

Strike you from the light

This is now your life

Die, buried alive

The Evil has taken over control. Now, the controller is "struck from the light", left to only control the zombies left in the Templar tombs.

The controller has a new life.

He shall die, buried alive.

The controller was guarding a gateway to Agartha. Samantha enters and is now trapped in and out of dimensions, all three personalities free to roam once again.

Now in full control, Samantha wipes the memories of the Post-EE Moon crew, making them forget their hatreds of each other. Since Richtofen's body now contains no soul, she places a new soul in there, based on the Richtofen she knew before he went mad. 

She gets them to free her from Agartha, and we do not know whether they really succeeded or failed.

Thanks for taking the time to read this very very very long post, and I hope you have enjoyed reading it.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic